EXERCISES

 From Weeks 1 - 3, I've watched all lecture videos of:

1.Gestalt theory 

2.Contrast 

3.Emphasis 

4.Balance 

5.Repetition 

6.Movement

7.Harmony& Unity 

8.Symbol 

9.Word and Image


Adhering to the brief, I have selected 2 design principles and will create 1 design of each principle. The principles I have chosen are Symbol and Word and Image. Below are the individual posts of each design.

SYMBOL

1. RECAP

  • A sign or shape, or object that is used to represent something else.
  • In design, symbols can provide or convey information, equivalent to one or more sentences of text, or even the whole story.
  • Abstract symbols can look like objects that they represent but have less details.
I have chosen abstract symbols from symbols and will create a design for it. The following is my design process:


2. MY DESIGN PROCESS

2.1 Visual references

Below are designs that have inspired me to create my own abstract symbol.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/skinwalker-cryptid-ocker
https://www.allposters.com/-sp/Caution-Loch-Ness-Monster-Sign-Art-Poster-Print-Posters_i8838756_.htm

2.2 Idea exploration

Below are my sketches for my abstract symbol design

An animal crossing sign but with a cryptid as the main subject instead of a normal animal

Alternative design of the cryptid



2.3 Final design & rationale

CRYPTID

This road sign is a take on what if cryptids and fictional creatures are normal daily occurrences for humans, and the government have to make an official road sign as a warning for drivers to give way to these creatures while they are driving on the road.


2.4 Lecturer's feedback

WORD & IMAGE

1. RECAP

  • Imagery is a vital part of design, be it print or digital. Users and viewers are able to relate to a concept or a brand if the right images are used in a work of design. It is therefore important to use suitable and relevant images when designing.
  • Choosing the right words to pair with the imagery is of high importance as it would deepen the meaning of the design. Suitable typeface and strategic positioning of the type will result in visual hierarchy and balance in a work of design.
  • Typography is the design and arrangement of text to convey a message of concept.
I have chosen word & image and will create a design for it. The following is my design process:


2. MY DESIGN PROCESS


2.1 Visual references

Below are designs that have inspired me to create my own word & image.

2.2 Idea exploration

Below is my sketch for my word & image design.




2.3 Final design & rationale



An image that I took in my travels paired with a meaningful message, which translates that the more we look into nature, the better the understanding mother nature provides.

2.4 Lecturer's feedback

REFLECTION

As a first timer design student, I find it daunting that many other students make better designs than me, since I have very little experience in doing assignments relating to design. Also, although I liked to draw and colour art pieces while following to my own pace before university, I find it intimidating when I have to finish an art piece in a set amount of time. In order to overcome this challenge, I will find better ways to manage my time, and also study some new techniques in creating art.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intercultural Design

Advanced Typography- Task 2: Key Artwork & Collaterals

Interactive Design: Project 2 - Working Web Page