PROJECT 1 - SELF-PORTRAIT

1. Project 1 Brief

Create a portrait of yourself by applying the various principles that you had learnt through these weeks. 

 

The self-portrait allows the student to investigate both historical and contemporary forms of self-expression and also to review the design principles covered and thus better inform their particular direction. They are also now free to use any media and to even consider working 3D or digitally. As with the first weeks of class, the classroom is a lab for interaction, experimentation and critique. Students explore a range of possibilities and are able to better determine an outcome through the critiques either individually with the teachers and/or with the class as a whole. They also are encouraged to look both critically and historically at the work of other designers and artists. 

PROGRESS:  

On the week you are working on this project, discuss and show your progress to your lecturer during class. 

 

Requirements 

Contemplate on your life experiences, which includes your culture, your family, your friends, your schooldays, your favourite hangouts, your favourite music, food, musicians, etc. Observe your surroundings – people, vehicles, buildings, plants, signages, nature, and activities. Record these in sketches, photography and/or video recording. 

Study all the visuals that you had collected. 

 

Select visuals that you find relevant and interesting to you, which you can translate into a design work to create a portrait of yourself in A4 size. Remember to apply design principles in your work. For materials, you may use any of your choice, but do consider their suitability to best express your idea.  





2. My Design process


2.1 Visual references

Below are designs and artworks that have inspired my own work


Below is a mind map and sketch for my work.



I start off by making a mind map, establishing four big things about me, physical, mental, dreams and culture. I then begin to branch off into more detailed stuff about me by mentioning my hobbies, my ethnicity, my personality traits etc. After that, I discovered a discrepancy about my personality traits, which is that I am both confident and insecure about myself, this is because I have a habit of switching personalities depending on which individual or group I am facing. For example, I am more quiet and shy around my family, while I am more open and loud around friends or even acquaintances. So, I decided to make this a theme for my self portrait.




2.3 Final outcome




I decided to use Japanese Horror Manga artist Junji Ito as an inspiration for my work because I was fascinated by the aesthetics and the vibe of his works. One of his works called "Tomie", featuring a girl with a hidden disfigured face on her side really resonates with me as it could portray my self portrait, because I have a tendency to put on a façade around others, while hiding my true self.

2.4 Lecturer's feedback

2.5 Reflection
I was both excited and nervous to do this project as I finally has a chance showcase what I truly am , and at the same time worried that my photoshop abilities might not be good enough. Even though there are still a few areas to improve on the photograph but ultimately, I am somewhat satisfied with my final outcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intercultural Design

Advanced Typography- Task 2: Key Artwork & Collaterals

Interactive Design: Project 2 - Working Web Page