IVN Final Project: Animated 1 Page Visual Novel

 Technical Recap

Continuing from Project 3, based on the selected story, create a ONE PAGE introduction of your visual novel or comic to your readers… with at least ONE animated panel.

Arrange your story in visual sequences that make sense and easily understood. Consider the choice of panel arrangements and transitions. Determine as well which panel(s) will be best visualized as animation. 

Choose the one that has the best timing in the story flow and transitions of the visuals that strongly reflect the narrative through characters, panels, particle effects, texts etc.

Timing is important! Too slow, your animation will be draggy and boring. Too quick, your animation won’t make sense. So timed the flow appropriately!

The challenges are:

Continue with the same story and design aesthetics from Project 2
Work only from one paragraph of the story for the 1st page.



Progress

Firstly, I decided a three panel comic in AI, using the shape tool with different layers of red.


Then I added another few shapes in the 1st panel to represent a window.

I added my characters that I traced in the 1st panel. I also added a few lines on the window to represent rain drops.



After that, I added the character into the 2nd panel with triangles in the background.

For the 3rd panel, I added eyes.

I decided to add skulls into the eyes, in order to animate it more easily.

Final Static Comic Panel Design:


GIF Animation Process

I decided to use Adobe Photoshop for my Animation.
I created a total of 8 artboards in AI in order to use for my animation. Each artboard has variations on each panel, ie raindrops, lighting, triangles, and skulls.


I exported my artboards and imported it to Photoshop to use as my frames.


In total, I used 8 frames and no delay for each frame for my GIF animation.

Final Animated Comic Panel




Reflection

This project was interesting as I have never made a comic before. I have also learned that making frame animation is tedious, but it is kind of satisfying seeing my animation come alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intercultural Design

Advanced Typography- Task 2: Key Artwork & Collaterals

Interactive Design: Project 2 - Working Web Page