Advanced Typography- Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

25/10/2023 - 29/11/2023, Week 9 - Week 14
Ng Zheng Kai / 0359424
Advanced Typography / Bachelor of Design in Creative Media (Hons)
Task 3: Type Exploration and Application


LECTURES

All lectures are completed in Task 1




INSTRUCTIONS


Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

In Task 3, we have the choice to choose and lead our own project. We can either create a font to address a specific challenge within our chosen field (such as Graphic Design, UI/UX, Animation, Entertainment Design, or any other area) or investigate the application of a font within our field of interest. The final result will be the implementation of the designed font in various formats relevant to the problem or exploration at hand, including but not limited to animation, 3D, print, ambient displays, projection, movie titles, game titles, and the use of diverse materials.

Research and Ideas


Fig 1.1 Proposal

Font Exploration

Fig 1.2 Fonts that inspired me

Hip Hop culture has always fascinated me because I liked how liberating it is, it encourages individuals to express their creativity in various forms. Whether it's through lyrics, dance, or graffiti art, hip-hop encourages self-expression and originality.

That is why I decided to further explore some existing graffiti typefaces, understand its details, and add my own touch into it.

Fig 1.3 Further font exploration

I plan to further explore the typeface "Another Tag" (https://www.dafont.com/a-another-tag.font)
The typeface mainly consist of sharp edges on top and inconsistent sizes between letters.


Fig 1.4 Another Tag






Fig 1.5 Exploring brush strokes

In Fig 1.5, I used Adobe Illustrator to play around with different brush strokes to find a suitable candidate for my own typeface. In the end, I decided to go with a brush stroke that is just right in its thickness and strokes.

Fig 1.6 Initial attempts (Part 1)



Fig 1.7 Initial Attempts (Part 2)


Fig 1.8 Initial Attempts (Part 3)

Fig 1.9 Initial Attempts (Part 4)

I used the brush stroke to draw out all the uppercase letters without caring about sizes and baselines at first, so to get a sense of what typeface I am about to create.

Fig 1.10 Inconsistent brush strokes



The problems I keep on facing is that the thickness of my brush stroke is sometimes inconsistent even though I am using the same brush stroke. So, I have to readjust some of the letters manually to make the thickness consistent.


Fig 1.11 Created letters with no reference to baseline (Part 1) 

Fig 1.12 Created letters with no reference to baseline (Part 2)




After finishing all the letters, I then make duplicates of it and readjust the sizes according to the baseline.

Fig 1.13 All letters readjusted and refined according to the baseline



The feedbacks given by Mr Vinod are mostly inconsistent thicknesses between letters and inconsistent style with the punctuations ,so I had to do further readjustments.


Fig 1.14 Feedbacks on created letters


Fig 1.15 Final readjustments





Generating the font in Fontlab 8

After transferring all my letters from Adobe Illustrator to Fontlab 8, I adjusted the side bearings of all my letters according to the guide provided by Mr Vinod. For uppercase side bearings, I have to first adjust the letter "H" and "O" using only my eye, then readjust the other letters according to these two letters. While for the lowercase side bearings, I have to first adjust the letters "n" and "o" before adjusting the other lowercase letters.

Fig 2.1 Uppercase side bearing guide


Fig 2.2 Lowercase side bearing guide





Fig 2.3 Uppercase letters with adjusted side bearings



Fig 2.4 Lowercase letters with adjusted side bearings

After adjusting my side bearings, I then type out a few words to readjust my kernings.

Type Presentation

I created my font presentation using Adobe Illustrator, I used different colours and strokes on my newly created typeface to create a sense of variety and be more vibrant.

Fig 3.1 First page

Fig 3.2 Second page

Fig 3.3 Alphabets showcase (Part 1)

Fig 3.4 Alphabets showcase (Part 2)

Fig 3.5 Alphabets showcase (Part 3)

Fig 3.6 Numericals showcase (Part 1)

Fig 3.7 Numericals showcase (Part 2)

Fig 3.8 Punctuations showcase (Part 1)

Fig 3.9 Punctuations showcase (Part 2)




Type Application

For font application, I initially wanted to created a hip hop dance competition poster and wrist bands, but Mr Vinod advised me to use 5 different walls instead.

Fig 4.1 Initial Designs


Mr Vinod recommended me to change the opacity of my letters to multiply so that it can better blend in with the walls and to also make it realistic. He also taught me to cut my the letters into multiple sections to make it look more jagged so that it gives off a realistic graffiti on a brick wall sense of aesthetic.

Fig 4.2 Normal view



Fig 4.3 Outline view



Final Application designs

Fig 4.4 Application 1

Fig 4.5 Application 2

Fig 4.6 Application 3

Fig 4.4 Application 4

Fig 4.5 Application 5

Final Task 3: Type Exploration and Application

Fig 5.1 Final type design (JPG)



Fig 5.2 Final type design (PDF)

 


Fig 5.3 Final font presentation (PDF)




Fig 5.4 Font application (PDF)




Font Preview






FEEDBACK

Week 8
ILW

Week 9
General Feedback: State your goals clearly in blog
Specific Feedback: Find a better reference picture for graffiti 

Week 10
General Feedback
Specific Feedback: Adjust the stroke thickness to maintain consistency

Week 11
General Feedback: Uppercase is good, lowercase needs some more work

Week 12
General Feedback: The background should not be overly complicated


Week 13
Specific Feedback 1: For application, use different walls and use overlays on typeface to blend with the wall texture.
Specific Feedback 2: In Type Presentation, enlarge only 1 punctuation and make others small.
Specific Feedback 3: Make spray paint smaller and make typeface more obvious.



REFLECTION

Experience
In this assignment, I find it to be fun as I get to express my own style in the vast graffiti font world, even though sometimes it might be tedious and I always face the same thickness inconsistency problems. But it was worth it once my creation came to my life in the form of wall art. I am just glad and relieved that it looked like a legitimate graffiti font in the end.

Observation
I found out that maintaining consistency between all letters is quite challenging, especially for graffiti styles fonts. It is also time consuming to create a typeface covering the whole alphabet, punctuations and numbers.

Findings
Throughout the whole assignment, I feel that I am much more confident than I was before when creating a new typeface. Although my created typeface might not be highly refined, I was able to learn and utilize the full use of creating a typeface in Fontlab 8.




FURTHER READING


Fig 6.1 A type Primer

This book offers a clear and easily understandable narrative. It provides a touch of historical background along with numerous practical examples, accompanied by detailed explanations. Additionally, its appealing design enhances the overall learning experience. It is a book recommended for beginners.


Fig 6.2 Spaces (page X)

There is plenty of "spaces" involved in typography, such as, the space inside the form, between forms, between words, between lines, between paragraphs, between columns of text, and between text and the edges of the page.

Fig 6.3 Reinforcing meaning (pg 64)

This page is a reminiscence of an assignment that we did back in Typography, simple choices in typeface, size, weight, and position can strengthen the representation of the concept of the word.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intercultural Design

Advanced Typography- Task 2: Key Artwork & Collaterals

Interactive Design: Project 2 - Working Web Page