Typography Task 3: Type Design and Communication

 24/5/2023 - 29/6/2023 / Week 8 - Week 13
Ng Zheng Kai / 0359424
Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 3A: Type Design and Communication


LECTURES

All lectures 1 to 6 completed in Task 1: Exercise 1 & 2



INSTRUCTIONS



For task 3A, we are to design the letters a e t k g r i y m p n
The purpose of this project is for us to learn how to create a good typeface, with subtlety, character, presence, legibility and readability in mind. Upon completion of the font, we were to create a poster displaying our created font. Software: Adobe Illustrator, Fontlab 7.

Task 3: Type Design and Communication

Research on type design


Figure 1.1 Anatomy of Typography

Type design has to adhere to the typography guidelines such as baseline, median, ascender and descender, as well as typography basics pictured in Fig. 1.1 above. While creating our sketches we should be aware of these.

Baseline- The line where all characters sit.

Median- The height of lowercase letters without ascenders.

Ascender- The upward part of the letterform that extends above the x-height and usually above the cap height.

Descender- The downward vertical stroke that extends below the baseline.

Sketches

The first part of the assignment requires 5 different writing tools, writing horizontal, vertical, diagonal , circular lines, and the letters AOTMX using 5 different ways.

The tools I had chosen are: cotton bud, highlighter, Calligraphy pen 1.0, water based brush sign pen and Fine Line 1.2.
Figure 1.2 All five tools

After that, the next part requires us to write down the letters "a e t k g r i y m p n", using the same 5 tools with the selected way.

Figure 1.3 All 5 tools in selected ways

Based on the feedback given by Mr Vinod, he suggested that I use the #4 water based brush sign pen, but he also told to be aware of the letters, as they need to be sitting on the baseline. Afterwards, I proceeded to use the water based brush sign pen to practice writing the same letters in my chosen style.

Figure 1.4 Practice

Digitalization

After satisfied with the outcome of my sketch, I used Adobe Illustrator to digitalize my sketch.

First, I had to create a 1000pt x 1000pt layout. After that, I had to create a guidelines ascender line, cap line, mean line, base line, and descender line, as instructed by Mr Vinod.

Figure 1.5 Guidelines

After finished setting up the guidelines, I proceeded to created a custom brush stroke that is similar to my sketch.

Figure 1.6 Custom made brush stroke

Then, I proceeded to create my initial digital design of my typeface using the custom brush stroke that I created.

Figure 1.7 Initial designs

After creating my initial design, Mr Vinod pointed out that the angle of my strokes are inconsistent, so he advised me to use the pen tool to draw out a straight line, and use the shape tool to draw a circle, then apply my custom brush on them. He also instructed us to create the symbols " . , ! # ".

Figure 1.8 Lines and circular shapes

I then used these lines and shapes to recreate my letters, in order to produce a more consistent angle and thickness.

Figure 1.9 Comparison between unrefined (top) and refined (bottom) letters


Figure 1.10 Final design

Developing the final font in Fontlab 7

After finishing my design in Adobe Illustrator, Mr. Vinod instructed us to develop our final font in Fontlab 7. I made sure to fill in the correct font information (ascender, descender, x-height) in the "Font Info" tab before pasting the letters from Illustrator.

Figure 1.11 Setting up font information



Figure 1.12 Importing letters 


After importing the letters from Illustrator to Fontlab 7, I made sure that both my sidebearings are 50, as instructed in the video.

Figure 1.13 Setting all bearings to 50

Then, I began adjusting the kerning of to allow proper spacing between the letters.

Figure 1.14 all letters and symbols used

After adjusting the kernings for all the letters, I exported the font and installed it in my laptop.


Poster Design

I used ChatGPT to let it come up with a sentence using the letters " a, e, t, k, g, r, i, y, m, p, n"

Figure 1.15 Using ChatGPT as reference for making a sentence

Although ChatGPT used other letters apart from the ones I gave, it still gave me some ideas and inspiration in creating my poster.

By using some sentences made by ChatGPT, I came up with my own sentence and made the poster.

Figure 1.16 Poster Design


Final Outcome





Figure 1.17 Task 3: Type Design and Communication "Natcore" in JPEG


Figure 1.18 Screen grab of "New Metrics Window: with sentence



Figure 1.19 Poster Design in JPEG

Figure 1.20 Poster Design with Background in JPEG
Figure 1.21 Poster Design in PDF


Figure 1.22 Poster Design with Background in PDF

Font preview:




FEEDBACK

Week 8
General Feedback: Independent learning week
Specific Feedback: Mr Vinod prefered the writing using the water based brush sign pen, but my letter's descenders need to be sitting on the baseline.

Week 10
Specific Feedback: make more refinements on the letters.

Week 11
Specific Feedback: Use shapes and pen tool to draw, then press the selection and press brush that I created. Use cut tool to remove excess areas.


REFLECTION

Experience
In task 3, we get to create our own typeface from scratch. I think it was a fun experience as I felt joyful when I first typed a sentence using the typeface that I made.

Observations
When designing a typeface, I discovered that we must make sure that the typeface is consistent as each letter needs to have the same stroke, angle and thickness.

Findings
In the process of creating my own typeface, I found that creating a typeface requires paying close attention to details like ascenders, descenders, x-height, median, baseline, kerning, etc.

FURTHER READING

Figure 2.1 Typography Basics




Figure 2.2 Font categories page 1

The first page of the book "Typography Basics" covers various types of font categories, such as serif, sans serif, mono-spaced, display, script, text, and dingbats.

Figure 2.3 Display and Script

The categories that caught my eye are display, scripts, text, and dingbats.

Display- fonts that are designed to be used as attention-getting headline fonts, rarely used as body fonts

Scripts- fonts that are designed to mimic handwriting, they are designed to touch one another. Often used for formal invitations, should never be used in all capital letters.

Figure 2.4 Text


Text- Have an "old world" feel to them. Mostly used for certificates, diplomas and invitations. Should not be used in all capital letters.

Figure 2.5 Dingbats


Dingbats- symbols that are used to enhance the design of the text or page. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intercultural Design

Advanced Typography- Task 2: Key Artwork & Collaterals

Interactive Design: Project 2 - Working Web Page